FOOTHILLS FORUM SEEKS FULL-TIME REPORTER
Foothills Forum, among the nation’s most innovative and successful rural nonprofit news organizations, is seeking a full-time general assignment reporter to bolster its award-winning in-depth journalism.
Foothills Forum primarily serves Rappahannock County, a picturesque, environmentally conscious community located about 70 miles from Washington, DC, adjoining Shenandoah National Park and the Blue Ridge Mountains. We are community supported, financially secure and editorially independent, with editors and reporters who have worked at leading news organizations. Our journalism appears mainly (but not exclusively) in the Rappahannock News, recently judged the best weekly of its size in Virginia. In Virginia Press Association competition this year, Foothills Forum and the Rappahannock News combined for nearly 30 individual awards, including 14 first place honors.
This is a salaried position ($40-45,000 range) with a benefit package including medical insurance and a substantial monthly housing allowance. The successful applicant will be expected to reside within Rappahannock County or the immediate area.
We’re looking for a reporter capable of covering a wide range of topics, with an emphasis on enterprise and in-depth stories. Specifically, we seek someone who:
- Embraces the critical watchdog role of community journalism.
- Likes to capture the real needs and concerns of a community with stories that are well-reported and thought-provoking.
- Is a dogged reporter obsessed by accuracy and fairness.
- Is a proficient writer, with a command of AP grammar & style.
- Has strong interpersonal skills.
- Is a self-starter with solid time management & organization skills.
- Has knowledge of social media platforms & basic photography/videography.
- Maintains the highest ethical and professional standards.
We welcome applications from veteran journalists or those starting their careers. A bachelor’s degree is required, preferably in journalism. Foothills Forum is an equal opportunity employer.
Applicants should send a cover letter, resume and three writing samples to Foothills Forum Executive Director Emily Oaks: firstname.lastname@example.org